NEW Winter CSA member registration begins September 11th. If you weren't a winter CSA member last season, starting the 11th you can go here to register: https://www.harvie.farm/farm/where-the-redfearn-grows-natural-farm/signup
We finally have solid info for the winter CSA for you. Before we get to that though, let's make sure you know, we aren't finished with the main CSA season yet. We've got 5 more weeks of amazing boxes (including this coming one). The final pickup for this season is October 7, 8, and 9th. And with the rain and hopefully cooler weather we hope to go out with a bang! More ginger, lots of beans and peppers, turmeric soon, broccolini, collards, napa cabbage, amazing greens, even lemon grass is just around the corner! These last few weeks of the CSA tend to have the largest variety and quantity available because summer crops keep going while fall crops start coming on. It's our favorite time of year (except for the exhaustion of trying to harvest everything!).
Bread and Cheese:
Cheese: Hemme Brothers Quark, 6oz jar
Bread: Farm to Market Rosemary Olive Oil Artisan Loaf
Winter CSA Registration Info:
The winter CSA is pretty limited in membership for a few reasons:
1) We are fairly careful, conservative people and we like to play it safe. Weather is more unpredictable in winter and things grow pretty slowly even in our greenhouses. Given that unpredictable nature and our penchant for caution, we play it safe with fewer boxes to fill.
2) Growing space is limited. In winter we are growing some outside but mostly in heated and unheated greenshouses. Not as much space to work with, so not as much to harvest.
3) We need a break. Although we have some great seasonal and part time helpers, most of the farm work is done by our family and although we'd love to grow for everyone who wants the food, we do need to focus on schoolwork, family time before everyone grows up, relaxation and farm infrastructure projects.
So we wish everyone in summer could stick with us in winter but we just can't do that. The winter CSA isn't for everyone anyway being heavy on greens and roots so it usually works out. If you want to be part of the winter CSA make sure you read the details below.
If you were a winter member last season and have the "autorenew" box checked "yes" in Harvie (you would have received an email yesterday from me about the process) then you are good to go and will automatically be renewed into the winter. If you weren't a winter CSA member last year, then please check out the details below about the winter CSA and when registration begins.
Here are the Winter CSA details:
- The 2021-2022 Winter CSA season will start the week of October 21st This will be a 16-week season. 8 weeks in the fall and 8 in the early spring with a significant gap in the middle.
- Weekly October 21st to December 16th (with no pickup Thanksgiving week) then we're taking deep winter off and then 8 consecutive weeks starting March 3rd and going until April 21st.
- The first week payment will be charged at signup with each weekly payment automatically charged coinciding with the CSA delivery weeks (starting with week 2 since week 1 is paid for at signup).
- You’ll have options to customize your box, just like our regular season CSA, however the number of items will be limited due to weather constraints.
- The winter CSA is heavy on fresh greens, fresh roots and storage roots. Spinach, kale, Swiss Chard, stir fry greens, tatsoi, bok choy, and lettuce are at their prime. If you don’t like green stuff, this winter share is probably not for you. Besides the staple greens above, we hope to have lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, garlic, daikon radish, watermelon radish, kohlrabi, radishes, turnips, green onions for most of the season. We should also have cilantro, fennel, ginger, Jerusalem artichokes, collards, broccoli, cabbage and maybe even cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas for a portion of the season depending on weather conditions.
Share sizes: (Sales tax and delivery fee’s may apply)
- Small: $25/wk
- Standard: $33/wk
- Veggie Lover: $42/wk ·
- Registration for new winter members opens September 11th. On the 11th, go here: https://www.harvie.farm/farm/where-the-redfearn-grows-natural-farm/signup to signup.
- Winter members from last season and are set to autorenew will receive new order confirmations on September 7th.
· Farm Pickup – Thursdays 3:00PM to 6:00PM
· Farm Friday Self Serve – Fridays 7:00AM to 7:00PM
· Brookside – Thursdays 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM
· Prairie Village – Thursdays 3:00 PM to 6:30PM
· Overland Park – Thursdays 3:00PM to 7:00PM
· Leawood – Thursdays 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
· Lee’s Summit – Thursdays 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
· Lakewood – Thursdays 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM
- Since all winter sites besides the farm are at member home porches, missed pickups are more of an issue in winter. Shares forgotten at the farm will be kept until the following week for donation and can be picked up by members later, however at all other sites, if a member misses a pickup time, there is no way to recover their share. Site hosts are instructed to keep or give away all leftover shares. Members can use the Harvie site to skip delivery weeks in advance to avoid being charged for that week and to avoid wasting share.