The summer heat is on and we just want to retreat to the comforts of air-conditioning. But, as farmers this just isn’t an option. If we didn’t get out there in this heat you would have nothing to eat, but lest you feel sorry for us let me say that we could it not only a privilege but a boon to our health to sweat it out on these hot humid days. Sweating increases overall health! Did you know that the skin is the largest organ of the body? Some call it the third kidney. Here are some health benefits of sweating:
- It filters toxins out of the body, which boosts the immune system.
- Sweating actually cools the body and helps us maintain a proper body temperature, trust me it feels great when the breeze blows!
- It increases circulation throughout all the organs and tissues
- The elimination of salts helps prevent kidney stones.
- The pores on our skin open up and allow for a protective barrier to form against pathogens, thus reducing bacteria on the skin.
Of course you need to be wise when the heat index is as high as it has been the last few days; but, the take home is don’t be afraid to sweat. In fact, get outside and work in your yard, sweat it out for your overall health!