Turnips were a good choice because they mature best in the Fall. They also are a quick growing crop that only takes a couple of months from seed to harvest, just like lettuce and spinach.
The problem with turnips is that many people do not know how to eat them. As a result, they cannot enjoy the benefits of them.
In fact, history tells us Romans used to throw them at bad politicians. (What? Cannot get any benefits out of that!)
No need to be frustrated any longer. Because eating turnips can...
* Play an extra role in reducing blood pressure and preventing blood platelets from sticking together as easily.
* Help you to loss those unwanted pounds because they are high in fiber which help to keep you feeling full longer and are also low in calories.
Did know that turnips can be a new favorite? Here is how:
* Mashing them is one of the simplest and tasty ways to serve up turnips. Peel, cook and chop turnip with potatoes. Once cooked, drain. Add milk/butter, salt and pepper, then mash all together. (Farmer Phil's favorite way to eat them)
* You can roast them with olive oil and seasonings such as garlic and rosemary, or you may want to add some maple syrup or honey for an even better glaze.
* Turnips will also roast well with other ‘winter’ vegetables such as carrots and cubed potatoes, or you can leave then in larger chunks, and roast alongside your meat or poultry. (Just avoid cooking them overlong as their flavor will intensify which can allow them to overpower other vegetables.)
* Turnips are often added to Asian recipes, especially soups. (always, peel them first)
* Turnips are great added to a stew with carrots and potatoes.
"Healthy soil makes healthier veggies, which makes a healthier you." - Farmer, Phil Riehm.
For those who were in the 2019 "summer" veggie box program your auto renewal is coming on January 7th.
Check the emails we have been sending!
* will tell you how to make the changes you want.
* will tell you how to check if you have your auto renew settings on.
* will tell you how much your first credit card payment will be.
* will tell you MUCH MORE
Auto renew is done as a courtesy to you. Simply “set it and forget it” and continue to get farm-fresh produce from us season to season without missing a delivery. You no longer have to remember to sign up every season. We take the worry out of it. This also ensures your spot gets saved before sign up opens to the general public!
BEEF PACKAGE, FOR A LIMITED TIME
Often we think of buying a half of steer to save money. But, buying a freezer to store a whole quarter or half of beef may seem like a daunting task with many "what if" questions.
We have the solution! Check out this package deal. Fits in your refrigerator freezer. For only $107.00 you can make over 15 meals for a family of 3 from this package. That's about $2.00/person.
Did you know that there are 7 health benefits of eating beef once in awhile?
- Beef Provides a Large Source of L-Carnitine. Which plays a part in fat metabolism....
- Beef Provides the “Master Antioxidant” Glutathione. ...
- Beef is High in Protein and Helps Improve Muscle Mass. ...
- Beef is Extremely Rich in Minerals. ...
- Eating Beef Helps Prevent Iron Deficiency Anemia. ...
- Beef Contains Carnosine, a Potent Amino Acid. Which is central to the aging process ...
- Beef is Full of Vitamins.
FIVE - 1 lb. Ground beef packages (top row)
3.22 lb. Hamburger patties (Left side, 8 count)
1.5 lb. Cube steak (middle, 3 count)
4 lb. T-bone/Porterhouse (bottom two packages, 2 count each)
These cattle are born and raised at RPfarm. They roam 40 acres of pasture and are gain finished. No added hormones!
Stock up now for the winter! Check it out on the "extra list".
[CSA "COMMUNITY" | Life's Better Together! | Share With Your Friends]
Riehm Produce Farm will host an on-line “Farminar” on Tuesday, January 14, 2020. (Notice date change)
Join us! or RSVP to get the recording!
What is a Farminar? It’s a live event that takes place virtually on-line where we will talk about how you can use Harvie and RPFarm to get the most out of your veggie box experience!
If you find yourself intimidated by your on-line farm share tools or need some questions answered directly from the farmer, this webinar is for you! We’ll provide you with answers to the following questions:
1. About Riehm Produce Farm.
2. How our veggie boxes work.
3. What new features we have this year!
4. What is Harvie?
5. How to use Harvie to customize your farm share.
6. Bonus discounts
Share this with your friends, family and co-workers. They’ll want to hear this too!
What: Live Farminar
When: Tuesday January 14, 2020
Time: 12:00 p.m. (noon) ,30 minutes
There is even a $25 gift opportunity for you.
Chef Anthony and Farmer Phil are teamed up together | Find out what’s cooking!
Join us for a Farm-to-Table dinner featuring produce from Riehm’s on Tuesday, January 28, 2020. Chef Anthony from Plat8 is the chef for the evening.
Plate8 says, “RPFarm supplies much of the produce throughout the year and we are pleased to highlight their veggies at this event.”
Menu and time to be announced.
To RSVP stop by Plat8 or give them a call at (419) 214-0370.
Plat8, 4330 Central Ave, Toledo. See map for directions…
[FOR THOSE WHO "ADDED-ON" TO YOUR SHARES "WHEN YOU SIGNED UP"],
January 7 - 11
Add-on APPLES shares - Mixed apples. Possibilities are Pink Lady, Braeburn, Ever-crisp, Golden Delicious varieties
Add-on BEEF Shares - Roast & Sirloin
Add-on HAMBURGER Shares - 3, frozen one pound bulk packages.
Add-on COFFEE Shares - Hand selected and roasted by award winning Jess, owner of Bailiwick Coffee in Tiffin. This week's is from Colombia. It is a medium roast coffee with notes of berries, citrus, and milk chocolate.
Add-on BREAD Shares - Sunflower.
Add-on EGGS Shares - Will be with each delivery.
Add-on CHICKEN package - Delivery is "next" delivery. Week of January 28th
“We help busy people get weekly, farm fresh meals on the table so they feel healthy and full of ideas as to what’s for dinner.”