CHEERS to a successful audit on the farm!
Pleased to announce that we passed the GAP (Good Agriculture Practices) certification with flying colors.
Caraflex Cone is the sweetest lady among the cabbages. She has graceful, conical curves and silky smooth leaves.
Try the many features of the "conehead" cabbage:
- Buttery sweet taste
- Mild flavor
- Tender texture
Be sure to store in the refrigerator. If the outer leaves begin to turn brown just peel off a layer or two; it is still very good!
Farmer Phil makes it look easy as he explains garlic curing in a video with fans and tables in the greenhouse.
This year is a TERRIFIC harvest with FABULOUS sized bulbs.
Looks like we'll have garlic all Fall and Winter season long.
NEW!! Talking about Fall/Winter season we would like to share that we will be launching the auto-renew for the Fall/Winter season in AUGUST. Just a few short weeks away.
This will give last years Fall/Winter members first chance to grab up the farm shares.
Then second chance will go to current members that are new this year (or) current members who did not join us for the cold weather season.
Lastly, the sign-ups will be open to the public.
Be PREPARED...scroll through the pictures HERE to see what you can start GRABBING SOON!
We were recently blown away with the 106 comments on beets in the Harvie FB group. (Who knew there was so much information about beets?!)
Sooo.. many excellent tips, suggestions and inspiration. Just look at them when you:
- Join veggie box members who cook using recipes from new and old cookbooks.
- Share handed down food discussions of successful dishes.
- Talk about flops and trends that will help you in the kitchen.
- Prepare to bring a favorite recipe and ask questions.
- Treat like cut flowers. Add vinegar or lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoons of sugar to water. (Did you know that about flowers??? We didn't!)
- Remove rubber band, trim stems, and place basil in water. It should perk up in a few hours.
- Put next to a window but NOT in the direct sunlight/or fan and most likely it will root.
- "Change" water every day or 2.
- Put a plastic bag over top.
- Leave on the counter. Do not refrigerate.
JOIN the "Harvie" Facebook group HERE
Sun Jewel Melon- Think of it more like a honeydew melon. Nice and sweet with a crisp crunch. Give it a try!
*Sun Jewel Melons will be on the "EXTRA" list for you to purchase.
[FOR THOSE WHO "ADDED-ON" TO YOUR 20-WEEK FARM SHARES WHEN YOU SIGNED UP]
Rush to see the complete schedule in your personal Harvie.farm page. Scroll down to the yellow "Managed Deliveries" box:
COMING JULY 27-AUGUST 1:
* FRUIT SHARES - Fruit will be blueberries, peaches or blackberries.
* EGG SHARES - Anderson’s Farm focuses on providing the community with healthy, local eggs.
* FLOWERS SHARES - Fresh cut farm flowers handpicked from Clay Hill Farm.
COMING AUGUST 3-AUGUST 8:
* FRUIT SHARES - Will update next week's ripe fruit.
* BREAD SHARES - Cider Rye: The NEWEST wholesome addition. Put bread in toaster. Taste like fresh out of the oven!!
* BEEF-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- Roast and sirloin steak
COMING AUGUST 10-AUGUST 15:
* FRUIT SHARES - Stay tuned...
* CHICKEN-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- 5 item frozen package
* HAMBURGER-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- Quantity (3) frozen packages of one lb. bulk