If you haven't tried Kohlrabi it's Easily prepared by peeling off the outermost bulb layer with a sharp knife. Simply eat slices like celery.
A great healthy addition to a salad or as a snack.
The taste and texture is somewhere between a sweet cabbage and broccoli.
Store in a reusable air-tight container or plastic bag with a twist tie.
It's that time of the year for EGGPLANT!
Discover tips to prepare this colorful veggie:
- Prepare by slicing off the top and bottom. The skin is edible, but you can peel it off if you prefer using a potato peeler. Cut into cubes, strips or disks.
Enjoy eight (8) cooking ideas:
- Mash into a dip
- Toss it with pasta
When the JALAPENO is smoked and dried it is called a "chipotle".
If you experience too much kick when using a jalapeno, remove the seeds and ribs since this is where most of the heat is contained. Be careful to wear gloves or wash your hands thoroughly before moving on.
Peppers can last for several days in the refrigerator.
They are still DELICIOUS even when they wrinkle.
Kyle is a technician at Harvie. He has been tweaking the system and making some AWESOME changes.
- Find MORE transparency on the swap page? (like the picture we shared in last week's farm happening)
- Discover items you have in current or past deliveries. (menu > My profile > shares > review shares) Also you can see past Farm Happening Newsletters in this tab.
- You can see how much credit you have left from your $25 refer-a-friend. (menu > My profile > credit)
We are working to give you the BEST EXPERIENCE EVER with your food!
Hang in there! It usually takes 3-5 years to master eating most of your meals from home. YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY!!
We are excited that there are more people than ever getting started NOW!
MISFIT ITEMS on the "EXTRA" list for you to purchase:
* Kohlrabi: Grade B (appearance not as nice but eats good) 5 count lots.
* Half bushel cone cabbage: Grade B (appearance not as nice but eats good) about 7 count
* 10 pound mixed cherry tomatoes: $25.00 Half price
* Half bushel summer squash: $10 deal
* Mixed Carrots: 10 pounds $19 deal
* Mixed Beets: 10 pounds for $16 deal
* Hamburger patties: Limited availability
[FOR THOSE WHO "ADDED-ON" TO YOUR 20-WEEK FARM SHARES WHEN YOU SIGNED UP]
Rush to see the complete schedule in your personal Harvie.farm page. Scroll down to the yellow "Managed Deliveries" box:
COMING AUGUST 3-AUGUST 8:
* FRUIT SHARES - We are having to switch orchards due to retirement. Farmer Phil has connected with Farmer Ben from Quarry Hill in Berlin Heights, Ohio. You have been getting their quality fruit the last few weeks. We feel confident in their growing practices!! So far we have not been able to predict fruit types as well as we would like. We are in the beginning stages of this relationship and the cold winters and springs have been hard on the local fruit trees. The possibilities "may" be melons, blackberry, peach, blueberry (A little of this and a little of that, not enough of the same kind to give everyone the same fruit).
* BREAD SHARES - Made without preservatives. Lasts 3 days. Cut in half and put in freezer for later if you are not eating right away. Cider Rye: You're gonna love this wholesome loaf!
* BEEF-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- Roast and sirloin steak
COMING AUGUST 10-AUGUST 15:
* CHICKEN-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- 5 item frozen package
* HAMBURGER-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- Quantity (3) frozen packages of one lb. bulk
COMING AUGUST 17-AUGUST 22:
* COFFEE-OF-THE-MONTH SHARES- The finest specialty coffee from Tiffin's own award-winning Bailiwicks
* BREAD SHARES - Fresh, handcrafted Sunflower Seed artisan bread by Bella Cuisine. No preservatives.