October went out with a bang for us. A scare of -5 C last Friday that never materialized made us rush to get a bunch of crops out of the field. We still have a lot of work to do to get our carrots out, but they will be super sweet now with the frosts we've had. The combination of frosty nights and nice weather ahead will mean we will have a lot of amazing fall crops for shares until Christmas! We are working on turning over our unheated cherry tomato hoophouse which will be almost all spinach for the winter.
This week our list of items from other farms is:
- Organic gala apples (3lb bag! last week was mistakenly listed as 2 lb) from BC (Pfennings)
- Organic bartlett pears from BC (Pfennings)
- Great Lakes farms Honey Crisp apples (NOT ORGANIC)
- Great Lakes farms Empire apples (NOT ORGANIC)
- Butternut squash, yellow onions: organic, Hope ECO farms Aylmer
- red onions: organic, Pfennings in Baden (near Kitchener)
- mushrooms: organic from a producer near Leamington (from Pfennings)
Great Lakes farms is very close to us (near Port Stanley) and the apples will be approximately 3 lbs per order. Some other good news: we were able to source some small flock, free range eggs form HOPE in Aylmer as well so we will have more eggs available starting this week and next.