We are now harvesting the Fall Squashes.
Here is a guide to help you decide which type to choose?
Just as a tip, I always cook mine in the microwave a bit to make it easier to cut open... then I finish cooking in the oven.
* When cooked, the meat of the spaghetti squash falls away from the flesh in ribbons or strands that look like, and are often substituted as a healthier option for, spaghetti.
* Sweet Dumpling or Carnival are similar. We have chosen to grow the carnival squash. Typically smaller than an acorn squash, similar in texture and a little sweeter.
* As the name suggests the acorn squash shape, resembles an acorn. Typically weigh one to two pounds and are between four and seven inches long.
* The peanut shaped delicata squash is most commonly baked, but can also be microwaved, sautéed or steamed. It may be stuffed with meat or vegetable mixtures and is known for its ease of cooking and creamy flavor and texture.
* The butternut squash's sweet, nutty taste similar to that of a pumpkin.
* Amber cup and butter cup are similar to the red kuri that we grow. Weighing from three to five pounds, and normally heavy with dense, yellow-orange flesh.
"Healthy soil makes healthier veggies, which makes a healthier you." - Farmer, Phil Riehm.
"Next week" look for Farmer Phil's "world rarest" fruits on the extras list, so you can purchase one or two!
African Horn Melon
** Think about doing a google search this week so you are prepared.
The Scooby -Doo story will be available during our Barnyard Fun & Corn Maze!
Remember when you would run through the corn as a kid?
Bring those memories back to life while solving trivia questions as you make your way through our corn maze.
To find out more...
GRAB our FREE eBook — 4 Steps To Make Memories That Last, PLUS all the Corn Maze pictures and more…
Barnyard Fun & Corn Maze Weekends September 28 – October 27
[SOME EXCITING "NEW" FEATURES]
1. Yeah! you no longer need to contact the Harvie support team to reschedule your farm shares from "HOLD"!
BEFORE THE SUMMER FARM SHARES ARE OVER!
- Log into your Harvie account here,
- Select the "my deliveries" button
- Scroll to find any "holds" you have placed on your weekly veggie bags.
- Change the date to double up before the Summer season is over
The week we are on, is listed in the "title" of the FARM HAPPENINGS. (notice today is week #17). Summer farm share season is for 20 weeks.
2. Never have to wait for an answer, there now is a search button that leads to what you want to know. When you log onto your account you will now see the Harvie University tab.
3. Monthly frozen CHICKEN-Of-THE MONTH SHARES are now being offered in the Fall/Winter farm shares. OH SO GOOD!
Here is a screenshot of where you add it to your Fall/Winter farm shares.
[RPFarm FALL/WINTER VEGGIE BOXES]
Many of the veggies taste sweeter when the colder temperatures hit them.
Pick-up dates are Twice (2) a month from November to February.
Enough to use for 2 weeks since most of the veggies like carrots and potatoes keep well.
Fall/Winter farm shares are now ready for you to sign up.
START BROWSING HERE <--- read about the CHICKEN SHARE PACKAGE add-on
FOR THOSE WHO "ADDED-ON" TO YOUR SHARES "WHEN YOU SIGNED UP",
September 23 - 27
FRUIT FORECAST PREDICTION - This week Plums and Bartlett pears.
“We help busy people get weekly, farm fresh meals on the table so they feel healthy and full of ideas as to what’s for dinner.”