Winter Share pickup coming up: Thurs Dec 13, Saturday Dec 15 or Sun Dec 16 (DEPENDING ON YOUR SITE – PLEASE CHECK YOUR DELIVERY DAY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE)
· Please make a note of ALL the remaining pickup dates on your calendar, as they are set way in advance and do not change!
· YOU CAN CHECK OUR WEBSITE ANY TIME IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF THE DATES https://gardenofevefarm.com/csa/wintercsashare/
· We are not responsible for missed pickups and cannot give you refunds for this! Friends can pick up for you anytime, with no prior notice. If you are picking up at one of the self-serve locations (Roslyn, Riverhead, Bushwick, Glendale) please make sure you check off your name off the sign-in sheet when you pick up.
· At many of our sites we ask that you bring your own bags and leave us the boxes/crates. There are a few others without storage where this is unfortunately not possible… So please do make sure to bring your own bags at Riverhead, Glendale, WB, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, Roslyn.
If you are at a pickup and confused or can't find the location, please call us at 631-722-8777 PICKUP DIRECTIONS ARE AT THE END OF THIS EMAIL, for all sites.
FARM NEWS: The first Winter Share seemed to go smoothly – big THANK YOU to all our site hosts and volunteers who make this possible! And Welcome to new members who have signed up since that time!
We had one issue with the program we are using, which led to some people not getting all of their items. This month we are trying something new - all the share types will have a choice of all the items available.
IF YOU HAVE A VEGAN SHARE AND DO NOT WANT EGGS, BUT THE SOFTWARE ASSIGNS YOU EGGS, JUST SWITCH THE EGGS OUT OF THE SHARE. Please don't take it personally! We are doing our best to give everyone the experience they need, while working with the staff we have and the technology to the best of our ability!
Please do remember to bring your own bags, there are a few of our sites which don’t have storage space unfortunately, but if you can return the silver freezer bags (if you get meat) or white bags (if you don’t use them yourself) we appreciate that.
The temps have been freezing – those hardy greens like kale, bok choi, and cauliflower can survive this! If we cut them on a day above freezing… but soon they won’t look as good so this month sees pretty much the last of what’s left in the field. The photo is our “High Tunnel”, filled with baby chards, spinaches, and more for the deep winter.
Summer signups are open for 2019 Summer/Fall shares at https://csa.farmigo.com/join/gardenofevefarm Makes a great holiday gift too! Special discount code FARMERCHRIS for those who sign up in 2018 - $10 off!
SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT WINTER VEGGIES:
Values are based on what we sell these items for in the winter time, at our farmer's market stands. Yes, there are probably times where you can get the same item imported from Mexico, or Fla, or CA, at your local supermarket, for less. Our produce is both tastier (the cold brings out the sugars) as well as more environmentally friendly, and of course organic! You vote with your dollar and keep family farms alive in the NY Metro area, by being part of this CSA. In return, we provide you with value, flavor, health, and deliciousness over the course of the season.
· SEASONAL EBB AND FLOW OF GREENS IN THE SHARE: The Dec Full Diet and Personal/Vegan share usually includes a lot of greens, Jan some greens (based on whether we have had a lot of hard freezes, snow etc), Feb a small amount of greens (just whatever we can grow in our unheated high tunnels) and March the fewest of the season (everything outside is pretty much dead, inside is used up). Good news: April things are growing again, more greens and also more in May!
DIRT ON YOUR VEGGIES: All the roots like potatoes, sweet potatoes etc have already been harvested, and are stored in our cooler through the winter. We couldn't dig them - the ground will be frozen solid! And if it's not, the cold wet ground would cause many of them to rot. We store and distribute them WITH DIRT ON THEM, because it keeps them from drying out and/or rotting. You can store them in the fridge and this will help extend their shelf life.
For those who subscribed to the following options (not available at all sites):
FRUIT SHARE: Heirloom apple varieties from upstate NY: Roxbury Russet (look like a russet potato! Brown skinned but great flavor!); Black Oxford, and Esopus Spitzenberg (a popular one for hard cider!), and Pink Lady.
MEAT SHARE: 1 cut pork AND 1 sausage AND 1 cut beef
CHEESE SHARE: from upstate NY: Ithaca Milk British Cheddar AND chevre AND Finger Lakes Gold (an aged goat cheese)
BREAD SHARE: Landbrot Sauerkraut bread, actually made with whole grains and lacto fermented sauerkraut! Has a nice sourdough taste.
BEER SHARE: Pilsner
FUTURE PICK UP DATES:
LI SITES (not at the farm: Bayport, Mt Sinai, Stonybrook, Roslyn): THURS Dec 13, 2018, Jan 10, 2019, Feb 7, Mar 7, April 11, May 2.
BROOKLYN AND MANHATTAN SITES, Glendale Queens, and Riverhead Farm:Saturdays: Dec 15, 2018, January 12, 2019, February 9, March 9, April 13, May 4
QUEENS Forest Hills and Kew Gardens SITES, and Riverhead Farm: Sundays Dec 2, Dec 16, Jan 13, Feb 10, March 10, April 14, May 5
PICKUP LOCATIONS AND TIMES:
NOTE: all the site hosts are VOLUNTEERS. Please be nice to them! If there is a problem with your share, it is not their fault. Please contact the farm right away (ideally before you leave the distro) at 631-722-8777 and if possible we will try to help you.
Upper West Side (Saturday 10:30am-12 pm At Trinity Lutheran Church, 164 West 100th Street, on 100th btw Amsterdam and Columbus. Downstairs basement door and ring bell for entry. Site host is Anne-Lise (646)884-4020
Bay Ridge (Saturday, 11am-12:30pm): Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church (corner of 80th Street and 4th Ave) 414 80th Street. Bring your own bags. Coordinator: Christine Kahaly (201)232-4811. ·
Brooklyn Heights (Sat approx 10am-12pm): 50 Monroe Pl, First Unitarian Congregational Church ·
Bushwick (Saturday, 9 am – 11:30 am: NO LATE PICK UPS): 234 Starr Street. 234 Starr Street, between Irving and Wyckoff Aves. It is the catering kitchen of Nick Rubino, CSA member, and his business Square Meals (www.sqmeals.com). Black exterior Door has no sign but will be open, shares ahead of you in hall at the back of the building. Call (646) 338-3535 if door is not open. 1/2 block from Jefferson stop on the L Train
Bed-Stuy: At Grandchamps Restaurant, on 197 Patchen st., NOTE LATER PICK UP TIME CHANGE: 11am-1pm. owner is Sabrina. www.grandchamps.nyc, 718-484-4880. ·
Williamsburg, Brooklyn near McCarren Park Farmers Market (9am-1pm, Satrurdays). at our usual CSA location next to the dog run. Go to our market stand if you can’t find us. ·
Carroll Gardens: At Jesus & Mary & St Stephen Roman Catholic Church, 108 Carroll St (Sat, 10am-11:30 am).Pick up in RECTORY HALL is adjacent to 108 Carroll St,. It is a basement step-down to the right of the rectory (main church). Please DO NOT ring rectory (Church) Doorbell. Site host; Karma Martell, parishioner. 917-560-8162.
Kensington Windsor Terrace at “Sumner’s Luncheonette”, formerly Brooklyn Commune Restaurant (Sat, 601 Greenwood Ave, 10am-12pm)
Glendale (Glendale Community Garden, 8am-10 am), corner of 88th Street and 7th Avenue, 74-10 88th St. Pickup time 8am-9:30 am.
Forest Hills at the Forest Hills Farmers Market SUNDAYS, 9 am -1 pm, on the South Side of Queens Boulevard x 70th St, in front of the Forest Hills Jewish Center. https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/queens/forest-hills,
· Kew Gardens SUNDAY (Kew Gardens Cinema Park, 8105 Lefferts Blvd (actually around corner on Austin St, 9:30am-11:30 am), during bad weather please try to come as early as possible! Site Host is Lauren Hay, 917-202-5563, email@example.com in a pinch
· Roslyn, Long Island, Sid Jacobson JCC, East Hills, pick up from the front desk area (THURS 3-7 pm)
· At the Riverhead Farm (4558 Sound Ave, any time Saturday or Sunday). SELF-SERVICE. The Farmstand will be CLOSED and you have to walk around to the right and go into the back, the shares will be boxed in the "cooler area" behind the farmstand. Bring your own bags to transfer the vegetables, and leave the box at the farm. We recommend coming during daylight hours, or bring flashlight.
· Bayport: Bayport Flower House, 940 Montauk Highway, Bayport. (THURS 1pm-6pm & FRI 8 am-6 pm )
· Mt Sinai: Land and Sea Fish Market, 524 Rt 25A, Mt Sinai (Thurs 1pm-7:30 pm)
· Stony Brook: Made To Move Tennis & Wellness, 5 South Jersey Ave (just off Rt 25A), East Setauket (Thurs 2pm-8pm)
If you are at a pickup and confused or can't find the location, please call us at 631-722-8777 x 5
THANKS FOR SUPPORTING OUR FARM!
Chris and Eve
Garden of Eve www.gardenofevefarm.com