What a great time of year! So much to do, so much to eat!...
This week, we see our first appearance of carrots, cabbage AND kohlrabi. I'm a mission to make cabbage cool (again?)... in my opinion, it's a very underrated vegetable. I'm a simple cook-- I like to let the ingredients speak for themselves-- so my favorite preparations are super easy:
1. Sautee in butter with salt and pepper. Cabbage develops this lovely savory sweetness that I can't get enough of. Here's a recipe from Ina Garten.
2. Cilantro Cabbage slaw for tacos, sandwiches or just as a side. Check out this recipe!
3. Lacto-fermented Kimchi and Sauerkraut. Fermentation preserves food, creates amazing flavors and improves nutritional content! Fermenting at home might sound intimidating, but it's actually quite easy. Here's a cool article from The Spruce to get you started.
Cabbage is not only delicious, but super healthy too! Will you join my Cabbage is Cool club?
You are already doing something amazing by supporting local farmers and vendors. I'd like to take a minute to remind you about a few more opportunities to do good things in our little community:
1. The Athens Farmers Market's Autumn Harvest Feast is this weekend and tickets are still available! This is truly one of my favorite events of the year-- it's a magical evening in an idyllic setting that creates lasting connection to one another and to food. The event celebrates the Athens food and farming scene with Athens' chefs creating delicious meals with produce and meat provided by local farmers. The Autumn Harvest Feast is an opportunity for our community to come together to celebrate amazing fresh produce and well-crafted meals, and to support our neighbors while living and thriving together.
Proceeds from the event benefit the SNAP Doubling Program, Athens Farmers Market's community programs, and Food as Real Medicine Prescription Program (FARM Rx). Featured guest speaker is President and CEO of Georgia Organics, Alice Rolls and we'll hear live music from Emily Backus of The Skipperdees.
2. A new assortment of super soft Collective Harvest shirts are hot off the presses and ready to be worn by YOU! This week we've added a 100% cotton long sleeved version from Next Level... this is destined to become your favorite comfy fall shirt. If you opt to sport a CH tee, you'll not only be supporting your favorite local farms, we'll be donating all proceeds from sales of merch to the Creature Comforts Get Comfortable campaign, which supports the nonprofit organizations meeting our city's most pressing needs (like food and shelter!).
We have a variety of colors to choose from. Just add your size to your order and we'll bring assorted colors for you to choose from. If you pick up your share at Front Field Farm, Hip Vintage, One River Place or Floral Park Market, please add your size to your order and email me with your color preference:
Short sleeves are available in grey, dusty rose (my fav!), dark blue and deep red. Long sleeves are available in grey and sage green.
This week, we are running an exciting sale on all Heartsong Herbs tinctures! Heartsong Herbs is a small batch tincture company located right here in Athens. They grow the vast majority of the herbs in their formulas using sustainable practices, and the herbs are often tinctured FRESH, which is quite rare. If you've been curious about these, now is the time to add one to your basket! Check out the Heartsong website for more info about the tinctures.
This week, your Independent Baking Co. Bread Share option will be...
Hearty and delicious.
Let's gather 'round the table and eat!