Winter Share pickup coming up: Thurs March 7, Saturday March 9 or Sun March 10 (DEPENDING ON YOUR SITE – PLEASE CHECK YOUR DELIVERY DAY IF YOU ARE NOT SURE)
· We are hard at work next week packing your veggies - this is Elizabeth from Zimbabwe above, if you haven't yet met her. Please make a note of ALL the remaining pickup dates on your calendar, as they are set way in advance and do not change!
Summer signups are open for 2019 Summer/Fall shares at https://csa.farmigo.com/join/gardenofevefarm. Thank you to those who have signed up already! it really helps us pay for seeds, soil, and help to get things planted!
· YOU CAN CHECK OUR WEBSITE ANY TIME IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF THE DATES https://gardenofevefarm.com/csa/wintercsashare/
· We are not responsible for missed pickups and cannot give you refunds for this! Friends can pick up for you anytime, with no prior notice. If you are picking up at one of the self-serve locations (Roslyn, Riverhead, Bushwick, Glendale) please make sure you check off your name off the sign-in sheet when you pick up.
· At many of our sites we ask that you bring your own bags and leave us the boxes/crates. There are a few others without storage where this is unfortunately not possible… So please do make sure to bring your own bags at Riverhead, Glendale, WB, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, Roslyn.
If you are at a pickup and confused or can't find the location, please call us at 631-722-8777 PICKUP DIRECTIONS ARE AT THE END OF THIS EMAIL, for all sites.
FARM NEWS: This is sort of a fun (although) cold time of the year for us, when we have enough time to think about what we'd like the coming year to look like, and to put our plans into place.
We are interviewing and hiring locals, making plans for our new (and returning!) international trainees to arrive in April, selling equipment we've stopped using (and buying new things that are now needed - mostly for the onerous food safety rules that are going into effect this year), planting more cold-hardy greens in the greenhouse for your spring CSA shares, and looking at our overall use of space on the farm.
We know the clock is ticking... the end of March is the end of this quieter time, by early April we hit the ground running and it doesn't let up until after Thanksgiving... We appreciate your support through the winter and enjoy meeting you in person at some of the upcoming "Meet-and-Greets" - don't be shy! come out, we love to meet our members.
Welcome to new (to us) CSA locations in Hollis Hills Bayside and Forest Hills! We are so excited to be working with you guys, and continuing to strengthen our relationship with folks in Queens, which is so close to us (relatively) on the farm!
Upcoming scheduled events where you can meet us include:
Hollis Hills Bayside Queens CSA: Thurs March 14, 7:30 PM at the Hollis Hills Jewish Center
Kew Gardens CSA: date TBD, Bay Ridge: date TBD
IF YOU HAVE A VEGAN SHARE AND DO NOT WANT EGGS, please SET YOUR PREFERENCE for eggs to 0 (the sad face)... IF THE SOFTWARE ASSIGNS YOU EGGS, JUST SWITCH THE EGGS OUT OF THE SHARE by Sunday Night. Please don't take it personally!
Please do remember to bring your own bags, there are a few of our sites which don’t have storage space unfortunately, but if you can return the silver freezer bags (if you get meat) or white bags (if you don’t use them yourself) we appreciate that.
For those who subscribed to the following options (not available at all sites):
FRUIT SHARE: most likely: 2 OG Texas Red Rio Grapefruit AND 1 4lb bag of OG Navel oranges AND 2 bags of frozen organic local blueberries
MEAT SHARE: possibly 1 whole chicken, 1 cut pork AND 1 additional item
CHEESE SHARE: from Valley Shepherd in NJ, four delicious and different cheeses! "Safronella" saffron-infused sheep manchego, AND "Halloumi" grilling cheese, AND "Nettlesome" nettle-infused cow cheese, AND "Shepherds Basket" plain manchego. Read more about them at http://valleyshepherd.com/
BREAD SHARE: Italian Theme! 1 loaf Italian "Filone" AND 1 loaf delicious Ciabatta
BEER SHARE: TBD
FUTURE PICK UP DATES:
LI SITES (not at the farm: Bayport, Mt Sinai, Stonybrook, Roslyn): THURS April 11, May 2.
BROOKLYN AND MANHATTAN SITES, Glendale Queens, and Riverhead Farm:Saturdays: April 13, May 4
QUEENS Forest Hills and Kew Gardens SITES, and Riverhead Farm: Sundays April 14, May 5
PICKUP LOCATIONS AND TIMES:
NOTE: all the site hosts are VOLUNTEERS. Please be nice to them! If there is a problem with your share, it is not their fault. Please contact the farm right away (ideally before you leave the distro) at 631-722-8777 and if possible we will try to help you.
Upper West Side (Saturday 10:30am-12 pm At Trinity Lutheran Church, 164 West 100th Street, on 100th btw Amsterdam and Columbus. Downstairs basement door and ring bell for entry. Site host is Anne-Lise (646)884-4020
Bay Ridge (Saturday, 11am-12:30pm): Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church (corner of 80th Street and 4th Ave) 414 80th Street. Bring your own bags. Coordinator: Christine Kahaly (201)232-4811. ·
Brooklyn Heights (Sat approx 10am-12pm): 50 Monroe Pl, First Unitarian Congregational Church ·
Bushwick (Saturday, 9 am – 11:30 am: NO LATE PICK UPS): 234 Starr Street. 234 Starr Street, between Irving and Wyckoff Aves. It is the catering kitchen of Nick Rubino, CSA member, and his business Square Meals (www.sqmeals.com). Black exterior Door has no sign but will be open, shares ahead of you in hall at the back of the building. Call (646) 338-3535 if door is not open. 1/2 block from Jefferson stop on the L Train
Bed-Stuy: At Grandchamps Restaurant, on 197 Patchen st., NOTE LATER PICK UP TIME CHANGE: 11am-1pm. owner is Sabrina. www.grandchamps.nyc, 718-484-4880. ·
Williamsburg, Brooklyn near McCarren Park Farmers Market (9am-1pm, Satrurdays). at our usual CSA location next to the dog run. Go to our market stand if you can’t find us. ·
Carroll Gardens: At Jesus & Mary & St Stephen Roman Catholic Church, 108 Carroll St (Sat, 10am-11:30 am).Pick up in RECTORY HALL is adjacent to 108 Carroll St,. It is a basement step-down to the right of the rectory (main church). Please DO NOT ring rectory (Church) Doorbell. Site host; Karma Martell, parishioner. 917-560-8162.
Kensington Windsor Terrace at “Sumner’s Luncheonette”, formerly Brooklyn Commune Restaurant (Sat, 601 Greenwood Ave, 10am-12pm)
Glendale (Glendale Community Garden, 8am-9:30 am), corner of 88th Street and 7th Avenue, 74-10 88th St.
Forest Hills at the Forest Hills Farmers Market SUNDAYS, 9 am -1 pm, on the South Side of Queens Boulevard x 70th St, in front of the Forest Hills Jewish Center. https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/queens/forest-hills,
· Kew Gardens SUNDAY (Kew Gardens Cinema Park, 8105 Lefferts Blvd (actually around corner on Austin St, 9:30am-11:30 am), during bad weather please try to come as early as possible! Site Host is Lauren Hay, 917-202-5563, firstname.lastname@example.org in a pinch
· Roslyn, Long Island, Sid Jacobson JCC, East Hills, pick up from the front desk area (THURS 3-7 pm)
· At the Riverhead Farm (4558 Sound Ave, any time Saturday or Sunday). SELF-SERVICE. The Farmstand will be CLOSED and you have to walk around to the right and go into the back, the shares will be boxed in the "cooler area" behind the farmstand. Bring your own bags to transfer the vegetables, and leave the box at the farm. We recommend coming during daylight hours, or bring flashlight.
· Bayport: Bayport Flower House, 940 Montauk Highway, Bayport. (THURS 1pm-6pm & FRI 8 am-6 pm )
· Mt Sinai: Land and Sea Fish Market, 524 Rt 25A, Mt Sinai (Thurs 1pm-7:30 pm)
· Stony Brook: Made To Move Tennis & Wellness, 5 South Jersey Ave (just off Rt 25A), East Setauket (Thurs 2pm-8pm)
If you are at a pickup and confused or can't find the location, please call us at 631-722-8777 x 5
THANKS FOR SUPPORTING OUR FARM!
Chris and Eve
Garden of Eve www.gardenofevefarm.com