Week of Aug 28th, 2023
Harvie Green member farm visits so far: 86 / 2271 = 3.8%!
It is our goal to get every Harvie Green member to visit a farm or a producer within a year.
Upcoming opportunities: Clarion River Organics Harvest Celebration on Sept. 16th and Harvie x Yarnick’s Farm Fall Festival on Sept. 30th – hayrides, pumpkins and farm tours! Please RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/harvie-44999042673
Eating with Purpose
I’ve been thinking a lot about the phrase, “eat with purpose” lately, and am curious what it means to you?
To me, it perfectly encapsulates the value Harvie brings to my life.
For me, eating with purpose is:
- Feeding myself and my family the highest quality, healthy, fresh food I can buy
- Having my purchases be part of building a local food system
- Buying meat from farmers who raise animals with respect
- Supporting local farmers who take care of their land and their workers
- Exploring our community and making connections through the food I buy
I’m not trying to make my eating perfect but I do want it to be mostly good for me and my community. Maybe I’ll buy an Egg McMuffin before an early flight out of PIT or grab a bag of chips during a long day on the road: it just means I understand that trade-off.
There are so many negative choices marketed to us by big food companies – it is so easy to mindlessly eat in a race to the bottom of cheap, processed, unhealthy food that ultimately hurts our bodies and our communities.
Eating with purpose fights this trend.
What does eating with purpose mean to you? I would love to hear your thoughts, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Simon Huntley. CEO, Harvie
A few ideas and kitchen hacks from your fellow members:
- Freeze your bread: this came up in a great thread on our member community – since the Mediterra bread has less preservatives than national brands, it may mold faster on your counter, especially in this hot weather. The consensus of the community is to freeze your bread and pull it out as needed! The quality is just as good and it will eliminate bread food waste in your kitchen.
- Member recommendations segment #2 – Classic Sun-popped corn from BjornQorn in Kerhonkson, NY: BjornQorn is a gluten and dairy free umami bomb! Plus, we love the company’s commitment to renewable energy. It’s really the perfect snack! – Caroline